hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Gary Helmling <ghelml...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Consider adding the issue number in commit message
Date Tue, 13 Sep 2016 07:53:34 GMT
Yes  this is one commit message where the JIRA number was left off.  I only
noticed it was missing after I pushed to master.  Mea culpa.

I've rebased to amend the commit message and force pushed.  However, there
were two intervening commits in the meantime, which also got included in
the rebase:

commit 77b327320a72ca01b35f655c42f8c13f659dff31
Author: anoopsamjohn <anoopsamjohn@gmail.com>
Date:   Tue Sep 13 11:43:26 2016 +0530

    HBASE-16229 Cleaning up size and heapSize calculation.

commit 2566cfeb60de644f287ac192d360f3fc15376c8f
Author: chenheng <chenheng@apache.org>
Date:   Tue Sep 13 10:07:45 2016 +0800

    HBASE-16592 Unify Delete request with AP

I like a clear commit history as much as anyone, but let's consider the
consequences of "fixing" this.  Unfortunately anyone who pulled master
between the original commit and the fix may now need to re-checkout master
to avoid divergent commits.  In hindsight, I think the fix may create more
pain than the original problem.  My apologies if you have to re-checkout
master as a result.

Anoop and Heng, you will both likely fall into this camp.  Again, my

This reaffirms my prejudice against force pushing to shared branches.