hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Upgrading Hadoop dependencies and catching potential incompatibilities for HBase
Date Wed, 28 Sep 2016 18:19:50 GMT
You can build hbase using the profile by adding this -D setting.

mvn clean test install -Dhadoop.profile=3.0

At the moment the hbase's hadoop 3 profile has fails at mvn compile,
install, and test phases. There are some issues that are patch available
addressing these in HBase currently.

compile https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-16711
test https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-6581
install https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-16712

IIRC, currently hbase's hadoop3 profile currently tracks the hadoop-3.0
SNAPSHOT artifacts.  Sean, would these dependencies changes be targeted for
this branch and land in the next hadoop 3 alpha/beta?

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Sean Mackrory <mackrorysd@gmail.com> wrote:

> HBase folks,
> I'd like to work on upgrading some of the dependencies in Hadoop that are
> starting to lag behind:
> jackson2 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-12705)
> jaxb-api (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13659)
> commons-configuration (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13660)
> htrace (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HADOOP-13661)
> Some of these (chiefly jackson) are known to be high risk upgrades and have
> caused problems for HBase in the past. I wanted to give you a heads up
> about this work and coordinate with you to make sure I do all the testing
> you think is necessary to discover any potential problems well in advance
> of the breakages.
> I was going to look at just running HBase's unit tests when built against
> my Hadoop's trunk with my changes (Should I expect any problems here? Is
> there a branch already focused on Hadoop 3 compatibility or anything?) and
> Bigtop's integration tests too. Anything else you would add to this?

// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh