hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] MR jobs started by Master or RS
Date Fri, 23 Sep 2016 01:58:27 GMT
> We should also do compactions using MR (just saying :)

No, never. It's not a good idea to wed any of our core function to something that independently
evolves, that some of us don't have commit rights on (and never will), and has varying degrees
of utility depending on deploy. Like JM says in some places not having the MR runtime around
is virtuous.

(Runs away screaming.)

> On Sep 22, 2016, at 2:49 PM, Devaraj Das <ddas@hortonworks.com> wrote:
>
> Very much agree; for tools like ExportSnapshot / Backup / Restore, it's fine to be dependent
on MR. MR is the right framework for such. We should also do compactions using MR (just saying
:) )