hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Vimont <dan...@commonvox.org>
Subject [DISCUSSION] Should we pull the Cygwin-oriented instructions out of the official reference materials?
Date Wed, 17 Aug 2016 01:52:35 GMT
Hey all,

There are recurring user-list postings[1][2] (and the occasional JIRA[3])
from confused individuals who are attempting to follow the (apparently
outdated and unsupported, yet apparently "official") instructions for
Cygwin-based installation of HBase in a Windows environment[4].

Given that these instructions do appear to be outdated and unsupported, I
would recommend that we simply pull them from the official documentation.
(Yes, we could put a big banner up at the top of the Cygwin instructions
that announces them as severely deprecated -- "Here be monsters" -- but why
leave bogus instructions lying around?)

Big questions:
(a) Is there anyone who wants to update the Cygwin instructions?
(b) Assuming that the answer to question (a) is "no"[5], then should we
pull the Cygwin instructions (hbase/src/main/site/asciidoc/cygwin.adoc) out
of the official Reference materials?

Thanks,

Dan

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-user/201608.mbox/%3C0e035a2a13e041fdae95d204857c271a%40HK2PR3007MB0132.064d.mgd.msft.net%3E
[2]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/hbase-user/201608.mbox/%3CCABL%2BTmt2khhkgQD%2BppUCewJ9Dvhsx-WqqkGFG%2B_TGZjpu%2Bh2iw%40mail.gmail.com%3E
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-16424
[4] https://hbase.apache.org/cygwin.html
[5] ... or more likely, that question (a) is simply met with the sound of
crickets vigorously chirping