hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: Avro schema getting changed dynamically
Date Tue, 30 Aug 2016 16:00:45 GMT
On Mon, Aug 29, 2016 at 11:17 PM, Manjeet Singh <manjeet.chandhok@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have use case to put data in avro format in Hbase , I have frequent read
> write operations but its not a problem.
>
> Problem is what if my avro schema get changed how shuld I deal with it?
> This should in mind what about older data which already inserted in Hbase
> and now we have new schema.
>
> can anyone suggest me solution for the same

Do a bit of research on Avro.

Usually schema is stored apart from data. To read old format you must
volunteer the old schema.

But you can set it up otherwise to embed schema IIRC.

Also, I'm no expert, but adding fields is probably fine. Have you tried
reading the old format w/ new schema?

For more, poke around here, https://github.com/kijiproject, a mature
project that used avro serializing data with built-in schema-migration, etc.

St.Ack