hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] 0.98 branch disposition
Date Fri, 26 Aug 2016 18:07:30 GMT
Greetings,

HBase 0.98.0 was released in February of 2014. We have had 21 releases in 2
1/2 years at a fairly regular cadence, a terrific run for any software
product. However as 0.98 RM I think it's now time to discuss winding down
0.98. I want to give you notice of this as far in advance as possible (and
have just come to a decision barely this week). We have several more recent
releases at this point that are quite stable, a superset of 0.98
functionality, and have been proven in deployments. It's wise not to take
on unnecessary risk by upgrading from a particular version, but in the case
of 0.98, it's getting to be that time.

If you have not yet, I would encourage you to take a few moments to
participate in our fully anonymous usage survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NJFKKGW . According to results received so
far, the versions of HBase in production use break down as:

   - 0.94 - 19%
   - 0.96 - 2%
   - *0.98 - 23%*
   - 1.0 - 20%
   - 1.1 - 34%
   - 1.2 - 23%

These figures add up to more than 100% because some respondents I expect
run more than one version.

For those 23% still on 0.98 (and the 2% on 0.96) it's time to start
seriously thinking about an upgrade to 1.1 or later. The upgrade process
can be done in a rolling manner. We consider 1.1 (and 1.2 for that matter)
to be stable and ready for production.

As 0.98 RM, my plan is to continue active maintenance at a roughly monthly
release cadence through December of this year. However in January 2017 I
plan to tender my resignation as 0.98 RM and, hopefully, take that active
role forward to more recent code not so full of dust and cobwebs and more
interesting to develop and maintain. Unless someone else steps up to take
on that task this will end regular 0.98 releases. I do not expect anyone to
take on that role, frankly. Of course we can still make occasional 0.98
releases on demand. Any committer can wrangle the bits and the PMC can
entertain a vote. (If you can conscript a committer to assist with
releasing I don't think you even need to be a committer to function as RM
for a release.) Anyway, concurrent with my resignation as 0.98 RM I expect
the project to discuss and decide an official position on 0.98 support. It
is quite possible we will announce that position to be an end of life.

--
Best regards,

   - Andy

(via Tom White)