hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JIRA rights for new community members
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 18:03:24 GMT
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:

> heya folks,
>
> I'm considering putting up a help wanted[1] for JIRA maintenance work.

Solicitations made so far for help seem to be pretty effective, better than
I would have supposed.

> Before I do so, I wanted to confirm a few things.
>
> 1) resolve / set fix / etc rights for new community members
>
> I know that I got full admin access to JIRA before I was made a
> committer (thanks again stack!), but IIRC I had already been making
> some contributions at the time. Before I try to draw in new community
> members with this kind of work, do folks have any level of interaction
> they'd prefer before I grant rights beyond what what give
> "contributors" right now?

Blanket rights to someone who just showed up is probably not prudent. Some
interaction is required to build a little trust and to ensure our history
doesn't get wiped whether by accident or otherwise is necessary. At your
discretion Sean.

> 2) JIRA gardening as contributions
>
> I've been a big advocate of "more than code contributions" counting. I
> also do a fair bit of JIRA work, so it's something that I value having
> more folks working on.  That said, I don't want to get new folks in
> the community working on this only to run into problems getting them
> recognition in the larger project. So I'd just like to make sure that
> if we had new folks who were consistently doing the work of keeping
> our JIRA listings accurate and useful that someone other than me would
> consider voting in favor of committer rights. (preferably a couple of
> folks :) )

I can see this as a, unorthodox path to committership.

St.Ack