hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] JIRA rights for new community members
Date Tue, 26 Jul 2016 18:00:38 GMT
If we have any folks willing and ready to tend our JIRA, I think we should be pleased to give
them all the rights on JIRA they need for that at the outset. I assume we are going to provide
them guidance and that will especially include a request to not touch fix versions for committed
changes. I'm guessing that won't be an issue normally, we would be asking them to search oldest
unchanged first or something like that and ping or close unresolved and incomplete issues.

In my opinion would be committers should generate committable changes. Sure, the bit is a
way to recognize other contributions in theory, but I think it should remain a functional
distinction. There's a baseline trust we all must have in those with privileges. That should
be based on observation of fitness to the task at hand. (Committers commit, that's why they
have the bit - catchy) Do you think it reasonable to insist on at least attention to our documentation
or site in addition to JIRA tending? They can easily be related. Some JIRAs no doubt can be
resolved with doc updates. The status of JIRA tending and advice on best practice seem like
things that can produce a steady cadence of doc commits.

> On Jul 26, 2016, at 10:14 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:
> heya folks,
> I'm considering putting up a help wanted[1] for JIRA maintenance work.
> Before I do so, I wanted to confirm a few things.
> 1) resolve / set fix / etc rights for new community members
> I know that I got full admin access to JIRA before I was made a
> committer (thanks again stack!), but IIRC I had already been making
> some contributions at the time. Before I try to draw in new community
> members with this kind of work, do folks have any level of interaction
> they'd prefer before I grant rights beyond what what give
> "contributors" right now?
> 2) JIRA gardening as contributions
> I've been a big advocate of "more than code contributions" counting. I
> also do a fair bit of JIRA work, so it's something that I value having
> more folks working on.  That said, I don't want to get new folks in
> the community working on this only to run into problems getting them
> recognition in the larger project. So I'd just like to make sure that
> if we had new folks who were consistently doing the work of keeping
> our JIRA listings accurate and useful that someone other than me would
> consider voting in favor of committer rights. (preferably a couple of
> folks :) )
> [1]: https://helpwanted.apache.org/

View raw message