hbase-dev mailing list archives

From <la...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Feedback from the July 2016 board report
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2016 17:28:20 GMT
We could do a poll.
In the end it will probably happen organically - like it did with 0.94.
It's not a decision to be made per se - it's open source after all.As long as patches are
backported and issues are reported against 0.98 there is a need and, IMHO, we should continue
doing releases. If/When that stops users and contributors have lost interest and we can EOL.
With that, looking at 0.98.21 with 44 resolved/closed issues, 22 open/in-progress/patch-available,
that looks pretty healthy and in demand to me!(Unless it's all your doing, Andy... Also looks
like it's time for an 0.98.21 RC :) )

Of course then there's the question of how much work we - as volunteers - are willing to put
into this.

I like the general statement about maintenance, stable, and unstable.
Perhaps that needs to be played by ear to some extent? What if - as an example - we had called
the next release not 1.3 but 2.0 and introduced major breaking changes (as much as we allow
ourselves per the compatibility guide)? Would we maintain 1.1.x, 1.2.x *and* 2.0.x and 2.1.x,
because folks might be stuck a bit longer with 1.x?

-- Lars

      From: Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com>
 To: dev@hbase.apache.org
 Sent: Monday, July 25, 2016 12:07 PM
 Subject: Re: Feedback from the July 2016 board report

On a closely related topic - the retiring of 0.98 - can I ask for your opinions on timeframe
to sunsetting? I am happy to continue maintaining it for as long as that would be desirable
and useful. On the other hand at some point it's a legacy we need to move on from. If there's
some guidance on this let's include it in what we are writing up.