hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <e...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] HBase-2.0 SHOULD be rolling upgradable and wire-compatible with 1.x
Date Mon, 20 Jun 2016 21:58:52 GMT
Time to formalize 2.0 rolling upgrade scenario?

0.94 -> 0.96 singularity was a real pain for operators and for our users.
If possible we should not have the users suffer through the same thing
unless there is a very compelling reason. For the current stuff in master,
there is nothing that will prevent us to not have rolling upgrade support
for 2.0. So I say, we should decide on the rolling upgrade requirement now,
and start to evaluate incoming patches accordingly. Otherwise, we risk the
option to go deeper down the hole.

What do you guys think. Previous threads [1] and [2] seems to be in favor.
Should we vote?

Ref:
[1]
http://search-hadoop.com/m/YGbbsd4An1aso5E1&subj=HBase+1+x+to+2+0+upgrade+goals+