hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Include Deb and RPM packages in releases
Date Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:03:42 GMT
In my experience properly maintaining any distribution packages is a
large undertaking. I haven't seen an individual component project like
ours do a good job of maintaining proper rpm/deb packages for itself.
I don't know that I'd -1 someone wanting to do the work in our
community, but I'd be surprised if there was a net benefit over e.g.
BigTop.

The problem with BigTop is that the version of HBase provided there
will only keep up so long as our community is investing the time there
for it to happen, naturally.

> IMHO, by not building these (and not providing init scripts, and so on),
> we're basically telling our users they shouldn't use Apache releases in
> prod.

I do agree with this sentiment, FWIW. not providing good
last-mile-to-deployment tools is a recurring issue we have.

--
busbey