hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Matteo Bertozzi <theo.berto...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] HBase-2.0 SHOULD be rolling upgradable and wire-compatible with 1.x
Date Tue, 21 Jun 2016 06:30:42 GMT
I think everyone wants rolling upgrade. the discussion should probably be
around how much compatibility code do we want to keep around.

using as example HBASE-16060, we need to decide how much are we rolling
upgradable and from where.
I'm not too convinced that we should have extra code in master to "simulate
the old states",
I'll rather have cleaner code in 2.0 and force the users to move to one of
the latest 1.x.y
there are not many changes in the 1.x releases, so we should be able to say:
if you are on 1.1 move to the latest 1.1.x, if you are on 1.2 move to the
latest 1.2.x and so on.

also there are some operations that may not be needed during rolling
upgrades,
and we can cut on compatibility to have some code removed.
an example here is HBASE-15521 where we are no longer able to clone/restore
snapshot during 1.x -> 2.x rolling upgrade, until the two master are on
2.x. but this may be extended to you can't perform some operation until all
the machines are on 2.x for some future change.

I think we should aim for something like:
 - data path: HTable put/get/scan/... must work during a rolling upgrade
 - replication: must? work during rolling upgrade
 - admin: some operation may not be working during rolling upgrade
 - upgrade to the latest 1.x.y before the 2.x upgrade (we can add in 2.x
master and rs the ability to check the client version)

Matteo