hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Dima Spivak <dspi...@cloudera.com>
Subject Anyone wanna try running a Docker container-based HBase cluster?
Date Thu, 02 Jun 2016 02:36:40 GMT
Hi devs,

After neglecting HBASE-12721 for way too long, I finally got around to
making available some the work we’ve done to enable starting up
Docker-based Apache HBase clusters built from source. In short, with a
single host that’s beefy enough, you can start up a distributed HBase
cluster by having each Docker container act as a node; I just started up a
4-node HBase (master) cluster on a $0.25/hr AWS instance and it took about
1.5 minutes (with 2/3rd of that time spent downloading the Docker image to
my host). This could be great for getting people started in the magical
world of HBase, but I’m especially excited about the possibility of it
enabling us to finally run our awesome hbase-it suite in a distributed
environment with fault-injection on Apache infra.

As I mention in the above-reference JIRA, a proper patch is forthcoming,
but if you’re feeling adventurous and have a cloud host that you’re not
afraid to muck around with, please try it out! Full instructions are in
this comment
<https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-12721?focusedCommentId=15311607&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-15311607>,
but I’d be happy to help anyone that runs into issues.

Cheers,
  Dima