hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Using the new 'help wanted' tool from comdev
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 15:39:19 GMT
On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 10:10 PM, Stack <stack@duboce.net> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 8:37 PM, Daniel Vimont <daniel@commonvox.org> wrote:
>

>> With regard to recruiting new contributors, I'll just toss out a question
>> which I hope does not give offense: What can be done to encourage more
>> gender-diversity in this project (and projects like it)?
>>

> Thank you for raising this 'awkward' question up here on the dev list.
>
> Our ratio is awful. I'm ashamed to cite numbers.
>
> I don't know what we can do to encourage participation. I'd be interested
> in any ideas others might have and would be up for acting them to try and
> make redress.

Yes, thank you Daniel. This is an issue that weighs on me. The ASF in
general has a demographic problem, and our particular corner of it
seems particularly homogenous.

I'm a firm believer in "can't fix what you don't measure." Stack do
you have numbers from somewhere? I was looking at ways we could run an
opt-in poll to get an idea of how our community looks outside of what
I can already see in the committer  and PMC ranks from meetups.

I don't think there are any fast answers to this issue, but I think
there are some things we could try doing that would help the project
generally:

1) We could use better student outreach. Presuming we come up with
some materials for trying to get students involved overall, we should
get a few folks go out of our way to present those materials to
student groups that try to provide space for folks who aren't in our
dominant demographic.

2) Similar to #1, there are meetups (at least in my area) that try to
make things accessible and comfortable for e.g. women. We could make a
habit of presenting to these meetups in addition to our normal "big
data" themed groups.

3) I've noticed that none of the meetups or conferences where I see
HBase stuff have child care options. This doesn't only impact women,
but it disproportionately impacts them due to societal expectations.
We the community could start pushing folks to have something and we
the PMC could perhaps push this a little harder, like we do the need
for a Code of Conduct.