hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Vimont <dan...@commonvox.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Using the new 'help wanted' tool from comdev
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 03:37:32 GMT
JIRA is in some sort of "spam lockdown" state right now, so that affords me
a few minutes to chime in on this thread.

I'm relatively new not only to HBase and big-data in general, but also to
the whole open-source scene (coming from several decades of working solely
in the proprietary realm with various legacy database technologies), so I
very much appreciate the #beginners tagged issues, and above all I am very
appreciative of the great, friendly, professional attitude that everybody
I've worked with here has thus far displayed. There's always a natural
tendency for a newby to feel intimidated by the inherent complexities of
technologies like this; such sheer complexity is likely the chief "barrier
to entry" of anyone considering joining in as a contributor. To me, this
makes the positive attitudes on display here all the more valuable and
appreciated -- so *thanks*!

With regard to recruiting new contributors, I'll just toss out a question
which I hope does not give offense: What can be done to encourage more
gender-diversity in this project (and projects like it)?

As I said, I come from a background of working in <http://treehouse.com/>
and with <http://www.softwareag.com/> companies in the proprietary software
realm, and as such I'm accustomed to working in environments in which males
outnumber females (like with 60/40 or 70/30 majorities). But one shocking
aspect of getting involved with this project was coming in and seeing only
ONE woman's name come up among the current, active contributors. Perhaps
all-male or almost-all-male projects are just the norm in most open-source
projects? I don't imagine for a second that this project is actively and
purposefully *excluding* women. I'm just wondering why (with one exception
that I'm aware of) they're not here, and what could be done to effectively
encourage them to join.

-- Dan