hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] First release candidate for HBase 1.1.5 (RC0) is available
Date Fri, 13 May 2016 17:37:44 GMT
On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Nick Dimiduk <ndimiduk@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 12, 2016 at 7:03 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> [1]:
>>
>> I now realize the issue with using gpg printed md5: the md5 files end up in
>> a different format for dist.apache than the md5 files pushed into
>> repository.apache.
>> the latter match md5sum / md5 -r output.
>>
>> It's not a big deal, just some added noise in the scripting I use to
>> go through checking
>> all of the checksum files.
>>

> Shall we have a follow-on to HBASE-15738 for using md5sum / md5 -r? Might
> as well make it simpler for folks consuming our stuff, and the gnupg format
> output is in the mds file for those who prefer that.

Maybe. So we'd essentially say something like "this is how you verify
using only gpg for signatures and for a couple of example hash algos"
and then a different "this is how you verify using md5sum"?

I dunno if it's worth having two verification instructions for
downloads just so verification of RCs is slightly simpler, since
hopefully the former is much more common than the latter.