hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Devaraj Das <d...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: What's going on? Two C++ clients being developed at the moment?
Date Mon, 18 Apr 2016 23:57:24 GMT
Your mail is very timely, Stack. Since I have been involved in this work for some time now,
let me try replying to this email...

Vamsi and his team is working with us (Hortonworks) to get a C++ HBase client implementation
up and running. We were discussing internally that we should reach out to the Dev community
now, discuss, and get help on having these two implementations (Elliott's and Vamsi's) converge,
if possible.

Elliott is right - since he already had something in the works at Facebook, we thought it'd
be good to start with that.. One of the major things that existed in the patch Elliott put
up was the use of Buck as the way to build the C++ library. We thought that Make is a much
more common tool for building C++ and we went with that (and granted we should have discussed
this aspect earlier in the dev cycle).

Vamsi submitted patches for reviews a month-and-a-half back, and it was reviewed, and a few
iterations happened. The current state is that most of the APIs like get/put/scan are in place
and a few DDLs are in place as well - Kerberos/SASL is being worked on. It's still a work-in-progress,
and would need more work on probably the error/exception handling, and such...

One of the major changes in the recent patch was to be able to use the recent C++ features/best-practices.
The major comments that are unaddressed yet are these:
1. Be able to do async RPC. Vamsi's current implementation does sync. I know Vamsi is already
looking at that aspect. Just to be clear, this in my mind this doesn't qualify as a blocker
- since we don't have an async client API to support yet.
2. Switch to C++ ways of configuring the hbase client configuration. This is something I am
really not sure about. By going this route, we'd have to be able to manage two different ways
of configuring things - one for Java and another for C++. This will lead to unnecessary duplication
of configs and such (and the deployment tools would now have to be aware about a new way of
configuring c++ clients). But we can take a look at making this configuration method pluggable
if it makes sense.
3. Use Facebook's Folly instead of POCO for the RPC layer implementation. This is under consideration.
Maybe, if we decide to have one implementation going forward, this would be an area of active
collaboration.
4. Use of Facebook's Buck build system. This I already talked about above.

Elliott, regarding your concern as to who would support the large code drop .. we did talk
about breaking the patch up into smaller ones if it makes sense for reviews and such. I personally
would like to avoid having multiple implementations of the C++ client, and would like to see
how we can work together... I think Vamsi has already addressed the other concerns to do with
Copyright headers, etc. Vamsi can add more color wherever needed...