hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: /bin/ls permission issue on precommit tests
Date Wed, 02 Mar 2016 21:33:09 GMT
On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Sean Busbey <sean.busbey@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Enis Söztutar <enis.soz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 2, 2016 at 11:53 AM, Sean Busbey <busbey@apache.org> wrote:
> >
> >> Such a tag would be a distribution according to ASF rules. The Yetus
> >> PMC would have to vote on it just as we do releases.
> >>

> > Not necessarily. We can depend on a pre-release tag of any of our
> > dependencies as long as we are not releasing them with our release. We
> are
> > not releasing yetus together with HBase. We can depend on any snapshot
> tag
> > for our precommit build. I was suggesting that the yetus community have a
> > guideline on what commit has is the best.
> >

> It would be a distribution for _the_Yetus_PMC_. HBase is free to do as
> it pleases, you are correct, but ASF rules about use from those outside of
> dev@yetus is clear: If the Yetus PMC is aware of regular use of our
> project in
> non-released form we need to take action to stop it.

> I *really*, *really* would like to avoid going down the rabbit hole of
> ASF rules lawyering on "who's using the artifact" and other ways of
> attempting
> to use semantics to avoid the root cause of yetus needing to release more
> often.
> That will be exhausting, a waste of time that could instead be put towards
> actually having releases, and will doom the Yetus project to fail in
> its expressed purpose of making software for the public good (rather than
> for
> ASF internal belly-itching).

ASF internal projects are the immediate consumer of yetus today and we
depend on it in a critical manner in the development lifecycle. That is why
prioritizing ASF internal needs for YETUS makes sense to me. Given enough
time, and if yetus community keeps up with frequent releases and more
stability we would not need to depend on unreleased tags. But if HBase and
Hadoop and other projects are blocked for precommit until a release which
may be another week or so, I would rather go with a solution that fixes the
issue now and worry about the perfect solution later.