hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Apekshit Sharma <a...@cloudera.com>
Subject Better management of flakies
Date Tue, 29 Mar 2016 23:25:17 GMT
Proposal:
Maintain a list of flaky tests which can be ignored in main builds (for
patches) and setup a new job which will periodically run those flaky tests.

Benefits:
- Cleaner main builds. Less runs per patch,  ideally no re-runs because of
timeouts and other flakiness. Less frustration. Increased developer
productivity.
- Logs from various runs available when anyone tries to fix these tests.

Possible con: We start demoting tests to flaky list which never get fixed.

How?
Internally, we have setup up two jenkins jobs, one for main build and one
for flaky. In execute shell step, they curl to get the list of flaky tests
and use surefire plugin flags to ignore/run particular tests.
I volunteer to set them up. However, not sure if this approach will work
since we have yetus upstream.

- Appy