hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Backporting Regionserver Groups (HBASE-6721) to 1.x and 0.98
Date Wed, 16 Mar 2016 18:14:03 GMT
I would like to see the same things I asked for MOB: Functional, stability,
and performance tests focused on the impact of the feature on those who
don't want it. Can use the usual suspects: PE, LTT, YCSB, our ITs. Given
how 6721 has been implemented I suspect favorable results will be easy to

I think we would like to see a backport to branch-1 because we will be
bringing our production up to a 1.x soon.

Its fair to consider a backport to 0.98 but as RM for that branch I'd like
to see it go into branch-1 first and also have a case where the result will
go into someone's production.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Francis Liu <toffer@ymail.com.invalid>

> Hi,
> HBASE-6721 is now committed to trunk. It'd be great if it can be
> backported to 1.x and 0.98 so that we can use it internally as well as push
> up features and fixes. We have been running an internal version for around
> 4 years. There's seems to be interest (HW, Bloomberg, Salesforce, etc).
> Also given how modular the code is. There's barely any effect in existing
> code paths.
> Seeding the criteria with Andy's suggestions in jira:
> 1. Stability - Unit tests and ?2. functional3. Performance - Read/write
> path was not affected. Some small changes related to assignment.
> Thanks,
> Francis

Best regards,

   - Andy