hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Nick Dimiduk <ndimi...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Retiring EOL branches
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2016 17:16:44 GMT

How are we handling the retirement of old release lines? ASF policy
now requires all release tags be "permanent/archival", which is enforced by
pushing them to the 'rel' space. From my perspective, that means everything
else that's no longer under active development can be deleted. As a recent
example, Enis has declared 1.0.x to be concluded, so by that reasoning we
can drop branch-1.0 (assuming the release tags have hit rel, of course).

I haven't done a recent audit, but I think we have a bunch of old branches
from the SVN days that no longer see activity. They're not hurting
anything, but I think keeping the branch set limited to active release
lines will help make it clear where to focus energy, especially in light of
recent discussion on the time commitments of backporting issues. Anyone who
wants to post-facto make a release from a retired line will still have the
tag to work from.