hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] HBase 1.2.0 RC3
Date Wed, 17 Feb 2016 16:05:52 GMT
The only one that really seems concerning is the TimeRange one.

A user could trigger the TimeRange constructed exception change by with the
Get#setTimeRange/Scan#setTimeRange/Increment#setTimeRange apis.  The
signature in these classes don't change. (master [1], branch-1.2[2], tag
1.1.3[3])

Doing a little digging, it is worth noting that no public APIs take time
range as an argument (HRegion, TimeRangeTracker do but they are private),
however a few public metrics return it (Get, Scan, Increment).  The comment
also basically says don't use the constructor.

I'm inclined to let this one slide with a release note as a bug in the old
api.  We should also mark the TimeRange constructor with @IA.Private, but I
don't think that is worth blocking the release for that alone.

Jon.

[1]
https://github.com/apache/hbase/blob/master/hbase-client/src/main/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/Get.java#L205
[2]