hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Matteo Bertozzi <theo.berto...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase 1.x to 2.0 upgrade goals?
Date Tue, 26 Jan 2016 18:58:38 GMT

what are your goals/hopes for the 1.x to 2.0 migration?

did we decided we can't have another cluster shutdown -> upgrade -> restart?
or if we have replication working between 1.x and 2.x this is a valid

one of the goal of the new Assignment is to be able to handle major
migrations by knowing the state of the cluster in terms of "which version
is each region server running" and with the ability to schedule region
migration for fs format changes and similar "major" changes.
(this requires an upgrade performed, Masters first and then RSs. this is
what I always suggested to people but I never checked if this is what we
are suggesting)

also, the above may require (still looking into it) some new calls added to
the 1.x line.
is it acceptable to force people to move to the latest 1.x (e.g. 1.5.x)?
or at least is it acceptable to force people to move to the latest 1.x.y
(e.g. 1.1.232)?

did we decided that before going to 2.0 you have to be on a 1.x? meaning no
direct upgrade from 0.98 to 2.0?

and for how long should we keep upgrade/compatibility code in 2.x?
can we force people to upgrade to 2.0 and then to the next 2.x?