hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Apekshit Sharma <a...@cloudera.com>
Subject Checkstyle News
Date Wed, 02 Dec 2015 22:46:00 GMT

Checkstyles have changed recently. And while they are small changes, they
do affect the codebase in big way as time progresses.
New checkstyles were added in HBASE-14829. Description of the jira lists
the new checks that were added. As of result of these new checks, our
checkstyle error count increased from ~3.8k to ~17k. :-(
But as we fix these over time and follow better coding guidelines, it'll be
all for good.

Change in testing for checkstyle errors:
Earlier, we were simply comparing number of errors before and after patch.
However, there was a simple python tool which Nick wrote, which analyzed
checkstyle reports to return the name of culprit files. It's clearly a
better way to detect checkstyle errors. So why not use it instead.
I updated the tool to check for new errors at <file, type of check> level.
It runs as a part of test-patch.sh now, and dumps culprit file names, type
of errors and old & new counts in the console output. (It's not as easy to
dump exact line numbers, so that granularity, maybe in future).

Hunting for checkstyle errors is still the same, except that there is no
need to manually run dev-support/checkstyle_report.py.
1. Go to console output, look at list of "filename, check, #old errors,
#new errors".
2. To get exact line number, look for that file in

Follow up issues were:

- Appy