hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Potential Gerrit support in review/commit flow
Date Fri, 06 Nov 2015 17:30:20 GMT
I'd want a subset of the community to be able to try out gerrit before
we adopted it project wide.

During that time, I would prefer it if all the committers didn't need
to install the git hook while we're evaluating. Is it possible to
configure gerrit to ignore direct commits to our repo without the

On Thu, Nov 5, 2015 at 6:33 PM, Zhe Zhang <zhz@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi HBase contributors,
> The Hadoop community is considering adding Gerrit as a review / commit
> tool. Since this will require support from the Apache Infra team, it makes
> more sense if multiple projects can benefit from the effort.
> The main benefit of Gerrit over ReviewBoard is better integration with git
> and Jenkins. A Gerrit review request is created through a simple "git push"
> instead of manually creating and uploading a diff file. Conflicts detection
> and rebase can be done on the review UI as well. When the programmed commit
> criteria are met (e.g. a code review +1 and a Jenkins verification),
> committing can also be done with a single button click, or even
> automatically.
> This also just augments instead of replacing the current review / commit
> flow. Every task will still start as a JIRA. Review comments can be made on
> both JIRA and Gerrit and will be bi-directionally mirrored. Patches can
> also be directly committed through git command line (Gerrit will recognize
> a direct commit and close the review request as long as a simple git hook
> is installed:
> https://gerrit.googlecode.com/svn/documentation/2.0/user-changeid.html).
> I wonder if the HBase community would be interested in moving on this
> direction as well. Any feedback is much appreciated.
> Thanks,
> Zhe Zhang

View raw message