hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Misty Stanley-Jones <mstanleyjo...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Opinions wanted: new site skin
Date Thu, 29 Oct 2015 06:51:16 GMT
I know how to take off the Fork on Github ribbon and have done so. :)

The two links below use two different Maven site skins. [0] uses Fluido,
from Apache. [1] uses the same Reflow skin we are already using, with some
CSS and Javascript tweaks, and some tweaks to the source files for the site.

I've learned some nifty tricks along the way, which is good all the way
around.

[0] has the site search, which is rather nice, but I have no idea how to
modify it to use the Hadoop search site that Stack lines instead of Google.
I have zero clue how to get a site search in [1] at all.

I've re-staged [0] with a few tweaks to hopefully make it more
mobile-friendly. I do agree that it is a cleaner look overall. However, it
is not based on Bootstrap (I believe). Apparently a version 2.0 is in the
works which may bring more responsive design.

I've just re-staged [1] without the per-page navigation menus because the
Bootstrap affix code was too tricky to get right, and none of our site
pages are really long enough to need a page-specific menu. I've also
switched the font back from Oxygen (Google Fonts) to Helvetica Neue, which
is what [0] is using as well.

It seems to take some time (30-60 minutes) for Github to rebuild the pages,
so perhaps give it some time before clicking. I think I have time zones on
my side and it won't be a problem.

[0]: http://mstanleyjones.github.io/hbase/index.html
> [1]: http://mstanleyjones.github.io/hbase/reflow_update/index.html

Of course I've kept the changes needed for each version on different
branches and if we like either of them better than what we currently have,
I will put up a patch for review.