hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Benjamin Lau <ben...@yahoo-inc.com.INVALID>
Subject HFileV4
Date Thu, 24 Sep 2015 18:13:38 GMT
Hi guys,
In HBASE-14283 (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-14283) we have submitted a patch
that would add a new HFileV4 format in order to add support for a prevBlockSize field to the
HFileBlock header.  This would allow us to fix reverse scans, which currently do not always
work correctly in the presence of inline blocks.  Updating the HFileBlockHeader turns out
to be a bit complicated and generates HFiles which are not backwards-compatible.  Hence we
have opted to propose a new HFileV4 that would most likely go into HBase 2.0.  Since we are
adding a new HFile format, now would be a good time to fix anything else that is broken or
add additional metadata for future optimizations/features.  Nick Dimiduk suggested we create
a     thread here to discuss what other things should be considered for addition/modification
in an HFileV4.  Any thoughts?