hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Switching from RTC to CTR
Date Mon, 17 Aug 2015 21:44:16 GMT
On Sun, Aug 16, 2015 at 1:40 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org> wrote:

> > As Stack mentioned, having the communal norm of reviews means that folks
> are more likely to see more of the code.
>
> I don't get it, because that norm can exist equally under CTR as RTC.
>
> Let me repeat a question I had earlier that nobody has responded to: What
> would be the practical difference/outcome of a committer immediately
> checking in something today without giving time for review versus doing so
> if we said "CTR" or "CTR after one week" *AND* "good committer practice is
> to get a code review and +1 before commit"? Practically, I mean. In both
> cases we'd revert it and have a discussion. Would the lack of attention to
> good practice be more actionable by the PMC because in the first case it is
> a rule violation and in the latter it's just inattention to community
> norms. Is that it? We need rules? (And is that "just because", or is there
> really a lack of trust?)

I only see our rules as useful to the extent that they codify our norms  so
that newcomers have an easier time getting situated. We don't have formal
bylaws (beyond those of the foundation and which I am fond of) so the rules
section are the best we have for those folks who learn best with explicitly
spelled out rules (even if they are a simplification like "RTC" instead of
"RTC except release management or unblocking broken builds, or or or").

While it's possible that a norm of reviewing code is possible in both CTR
or RTC, I've never seen a CTR community that managed to maintain the norm.
That strongly biases my opinion of CTR, though I could easily have the
causation backwards.

--
Sean