hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: HBase and Accumulo
Date Wed, 19 Aug 2015 18:11:06 GMT
+dev@accumulo (Though Josh and I are on this list, some other folks on
dev@accumulo might have opinions)

Hi Jerry!

Do you have constraints on which version(s) of HBase and Accumulo you're
comparing?

Are you looking for currently shipping or for some expected future date?

In very broad strokes: Accumulo's security features (specifically cell
level visibility expressions) have been used in anger much more than
HBase's. However, HBase has a larger community, which might help with
future security needs.

Given HBase 1.1.1 and Accumulo 1.7.0, strictly from security the only
significant differences:

1) HBase Cell Visibility labels support both NOT and client downgrade,
which is a problem (see discussion[1])

2) HBase has the option of Cell level ACLs (and less granular ACLs) instead
of visibility expressions

3) To my knowledge, HBase still has no support to allow inspection of the
visibility expression of a cell on the client side.

This includes for both normal and admin users.

4) HBase's Cell Level Visiblity Expression needs some scale-tests to figure
out the exact boundary, but it will probably have  bad time at ~millions or
~10s of millions of unique labels.

Most use cases won't be impacted by this, I expect.

 5) HBase stores a representation of the visibility expression rather than
the raw expression with each cell.

This has some operational implications (needing the label table to
understand a table with viz expressions) and may be an issue depending on
the system's accreditation needs.

[1]: *http://s.apache.org/accumulo-user-list-not-operator
<http://s.apache.org/accumulo-user-list-not-operator>*

--