hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Requesting releases from our upstream dependencies
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 21:33:45 GMT
On one of our open issues about Hadoop versions, one of the Hadoop PMC
members mentioned that the 2.6.z line wasn't planning any additional
releases[1].

I'd like us to request, as a downstream community, that the Hadoop project
plan for maintenance releases on this line given the non-production status
of 2.7.0, unevaluated quality of further 2.7 releases and the unknown
status of a 2.8 release.

Right now, there's substantial evidence from our Elliot that we should be
pushing our users from the 2.4/2.5 releases onto 2.6. At the moment, 2.6.0
contains a couple of critical bugs that effectively prevent the use of HDFS
transparent encryption[2]. Now, that feature isn't needed but it's nice to
have as an operational alternative to our own implementation. And the
current bug _destroys_ HBase clusters, so the consequences for the curious
are severe.

That specific issue aside, however, as a system that runs on top of Hadoop
we impose on our downstream users a dependency on that project. Regular
maintenance releases are critical to easing long term operational pain, so
we should proactively look out for them by prodding our less stable
upstream dependencies.

[1]: http://s.apache.org/MTY
[2]: HADOOP-11674 and HADOOP-11710

--