hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Licensing problem on logo
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 20:20:09 GMT
Hi Folks!

Working through HBASE-14085 and I was verifying license version/text for
our bundled works in the source distribution.

We have an entry for our logo that points to
http://www.vectorfree.com/jumping-orca as the source and CC-BY 3.0 as the
license.

Looking at the source site, that work is under CC-BY 3.0 however, it lists
that it's a derivative work "Killer whale vector by VectorPortal.com
<http://www.vectorportal.com/>"

It doesn't give a direct reference, but a quick search on VectorPortal for
"orca" leads directly to this likely source:

http://www.vectorportal.com/subcategory/205/KILLER-WHALE-FREE-VECTOR.eps/ifile/9136/detailtest.asp

Given the below description of our modifications:
"We changed the logo by stripping the colored background, inverting
it and then rotating it some.
"

It sounds like we're closer to using the original (or could easily rerun
our modifications to be based on it).

In any case, this original work is not licensed under CC-BY 3.0, nor do
their license terms[1] line up with the existing acceptable licenses (and
I'm not sure it would pass the general guidelines)[2].

The three obvious possible next steps I see:

* Contact vector portal and ask them to grant us a license on the image
under a pre-appoved license (i.e. CC-BY-3.0)
* Submit a question to legal-discuss@ to see if these license terms are
acceptable
* Change the logo :(

Any other ideas or preferences amongst these?

[1]: http://www.vectorportal.com/copyright/
http://www.vectorportal.com/faq/
[2]: http://www.apache.org/legal/resolved.html

--