hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] correcting abusive behavior on mailing lists was (Re: [DISCUSS] Multi-Cluster HBase Client)
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 17:38:14 GMT
Due to an off list request, let me clarify my previous email. Apologies if
this is overly detailed, but I'm presuming folks on user@ don't often deal
with ASF mechanics.

For those on user@hbase, Andrew asked on a sub-thread that mistakenly went
only to dev@hbase if those advocating for moderating Michael S's email
would we would vote against a 3 month ban if Andrew called a vote. My
response copied user@hbase back in and that's why you may have a gap in
messages.

In ASF terminology, votes are one of

* <0 against or a veto depending on what kind of vote has been called,
usually "-1"
* 0 either neutral or too conflicted to state a for/against preference,
usually has some concerns attached
* >0 in favor, usually "+1"

I precisely said "I would not vote -1" because I would not take a stance
that might cause the vote to fail, but I would not vote in favor. I very
likely would vote "-0 I think moderating his messages will suffice, but
acknowledge the community does not want that."

--
Sean