hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Shahab Yunus <shahab.yu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] correcting abusive behavior on mailing lists was (Re: [DISCUSS] Multi-Cluster HBase Client)
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:19:50 GMT
I am a very new here and also my contribution to the mailing list has been
limited as well. I am not even a committer. But I have been following and
reading the mailing list for a while. So given that, I am taking the
liberty and chiming in my 2 cents. I don't profess or claim to read other
people's mind or comment on how they truly are or be patronizing. These are
just purely my subjective observations. No offense intended.

I totally understand where Andrew Purtell and Stack are coming from and
yes, Michael Segel has been in the past and in this particular email too,
be quite rude and dismissive. Unnecessarily so. At the same time, he is
clearly a smart guy when it comes to the topic of the mailing list. I also
realize that being smart or intelligent in one's field or area does not
give you a free pass to railroad or demean everyone else. But the thing is
that I don't think Michael is just a mean or rude person. Quite a few
times, he tries to temper his sarcastic barbs with a smiley and emoticons
to lighten the effect. Especially if they are of the personal nature or in
direct response to another poster (on the other hand he could be harsh when
talking about design decisions in general). I also have a belief (blind
faith as I of course have not met him, lol) that he is more than just a
smart guy in this area but, in general a sensible individual too and this
was mostly a misstep and the tone was not tempered at all(?)

Lastly having said all that, as this has never happened before here on the
list (if I remember correctly and as mentioned by Andrew), 'ban' is a
pretty severe measure. Moderation is better in this regard. I have been
moderating a totally unrelated web forum for few years now and things get
pretty rowdy there (to put it mildly) and thus ban is not used that
lightly, and in extreme cases.

Also, even if we don't want to moderate because of effort involved, why not
go with a 'warning' system. Give 2 warnings and then on the third strike
you are banned. Or start with temporary bans which could be extended after
2-3 strikes.

If I have overstepped or something than just ignore this email.

Regards,
Shahab

On Wed, Jul 1, 2015 at 8:03 AM, Patrick Angeles <patrickangeles@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Beyond the personal insults, he is clearly arguing for the sake of arguing.
> Not productive. I'm also with Stack -- moderation is work. Ban. It's not
> like there aren't other outlets for this kind of behavior, just don't let
> them do it here.
>

> On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 10:28 PM, Andrew Purtell <andrew.purtell@gmail.com
> >
> wrote:
>
> > Huh? This is not about being caremad over some technical issue, this is
> > about preserving a productive space for communication free from toxic
> > people casting abuse while being "funny" and "smart". Please go back on
> the
> > original thread and re-read the interaction with Sean. Are you going to
> > defend that as within the bounds of acceptable behavior? Is this the
> first
> > time that has happened?
> >

> > > On Jun 30, 2015, at 5:58 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > Moderating is better than outright banning, I think.While Micheal is
> > sometimes infuriating, he's also funny and smart.
> > > Can we have a group of moderators? I'd volunteer, but not if I'm the
> > only one.
> > >
> > > -- Lars

Nobody

> engineering