hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Licensing problem on logo
Date Wed, 15 Jul 2015 23:53:16 GMT
On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 1:20 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Hi Folks!
>
> Working through HBASE-14085 and I was verifying license version/text for
> our bundled works in the source distribution.
>
> We have an entry for our logo that points to
> http://www.vectorfree.com/jumping-orca as the source and CC-BY 3.0 as the
> license.
>
> Looking at the source site, that work is under CC-BY 3.0 however, it lists
> that it's a derivative work "Killer whale vector by VectorPortal.com
> <http://www.vectorportal.com/>"
>
> It doesn't give a direct reference, but a quick search on VectorPortal for
> "orca" leads directly to this likely source:
>

> http://www.vectorportal.com/subcategory/205/KILLER-WHALE-FREE-VECTOR.eps/ifile/9136/detailtest.asp
>

> Given the below description of our modifications:
> "We changed the logo by stripping the colored background, inverting
> it and then rotating it some.
> "
>
> It sounds like we're closer to using the original (or could easily rerun
> our modifications to be based on it).

In any case, this original work is not licensed under CC-BY 3.0, nor do
> their license terms[1] line up with the existing acceptable licenses (and
> I'm not sure it would pass the general guidelines)[2].
>
> The three obvious possible next steps I see:
>
> * Contact vector portal and ask them to grant us a license on the image
> under a pre-appoved license (i.e. CC-BY-3.0)
> * Submit a question to legal-discuss@ to see if these license terms are
> acceptable
> * Change the logo :(
>
> Any other ideas or preferences amongst these?

My rationale was that I was making a derivative of a CC-BY 3.0 licensed
work. CC-BY 3.0 allows "... remix, transform, and build upon the material for
any purpose, even commercially." I called it out in NOTICES so our sourcing
was trackable. I was unaware that my manipulations took our logo closer to
the pre-derivate source. That it did, is probably of no relevance.

Choice #4, is to continue that our logo is a derivative of a CC-BY 3.0.

Otherwise, I can write vector portal.

St.Ack