hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Srikanth Srungarapu <srikanth...@gmail.com>
Subject [DISCUSS] Bumping Thrift to 0.9.2 in branch-1
Date Wed, 08 Jul 2015 18:42:05 GMT
Hi Folks,

Currently, HBase is using Thrift 0.9.0 version, with the latest  version
being 0.9.2. Currently, the HBase Thrift gateway is vulnerable to crashes
due to THRIFT-2660 <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2660> when
used with default transport and the workaround for this problem is
switching to framed transport. Unfortunately, the recently added
impersonation support [1] doesn't work with framed transport leaving thrift
gateway using this feature susceptible to crashes.  Updating thrift version
to 0.9.2 will help us in mitigating this problem. Given that security is
one of key requirements for the production clusters, it would be good to
ensure our users that security features in thrift gateway can be used
without any major concerns. Aside this, there are also some nice fixes
pertaining to  leaky resources in 0.9.2 like [2] and [3].

As far compatibility guarantees are concerned, thrift assures 100% wire
compatibility. However, it is my understanding that there were some minor
additions (new API) in 0.9.2 [5] which won't work in 0.9.0, but that won't
affect us since we are not using those features. And I tried running test
suite and did manual testing with thrift version set to 0.9.2 and things
are running smoothly. If there are no objections to this change, I would be
more than happy to file a jira and follow this up.

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-11349
[2] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2274
[3] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-2359
[4]