hbase-dev mailing list archives

From ramkrishna vasudevan <ramkrishna.s.vasude...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: lets do a developer workshop on near-term work
Date Sun, 19 Jul 2015 04:16:11 GMT
Thanks Vladimir.
Yeah, the reports that were attached specifically captured the 95/99th
percentile.
The reason for checking the server side perf was to specifically see the
improvement in the server side and also the client was sending large
results in multiple threads. So wanted to avoid the n/w interference. I
think it was a general practice that we were following.
We Wil do some more tests and get some latest readings with bigger data
sets.
Sent from mobile.
On Jul 19, 2015 1:05 AM, "Andrew Purtell" <andrew.purtell@gmail.com> wrote:

> +1
>
> Yeah, something like that, with aspirational targets for improvement from
> current releases. Then what to measure, the tests to run, and criteria for
> evaluation are clear and organized and we're able to better assess how the
> work in progress is meeting its goals (or not)

> > cache. In the entire read path, we can refer to this offheap buffer and
> > avoid onheap copying.
> >
> > I think, on a read path, the most important improvement we could imagine
> is
> > elimination or reducing of object creations (KVs, iterators etc).
> > object reuse, byte buffers reuse or offheap buffers reuse, API change
> etc.
> > If this is a part of this JIRA, then I would easily define a goal:
> > improving 95/99% latency of a read operations. Not performance, but
> latency
> > matters
> >
> > -Vlad
> >

> > On Sat, Jul 18, 2015 at 11:24 AM, Andrew Purtell <
> andrew.purtell@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> That's not a realistic or useful test scenario, unless the goal is to
> >> accelerate queries where all cells are filtered at the server.

> added

> >> andrew.purtell@gmail.com>

> totally
> an