hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] correcting abusive behavior on mailing lists was (Re: [DISCUSS] Multi-Cluster HBase Client)
Date Wed, 01 Jul 2015 15:46:49 GMT
Hi,

Unfortunately we can't expect newcomers to our lists to know in advance that so and so is
sarcastic and hostile so should be ignored. We can't expect everyone to be ok with abuse.
In fact I believe we should take the exact opposite position. Who knows how many will decide
not to participate and how many discussions will never happen in forums where rude people
are given license to randomly turn up, derail conversation, and abuse people. Our mailing
lists are publicly archived. Someone will (not might) find an archived thread from a search
engine when looking for an answer to something, follow the thread, find rude communication,
and get the impression that is a defining characteristic of our community because nobody then
counters it (if we are simply ignoring it as you suggest). To me that prospect isn't acceptable.