hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <andrew.purt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DISCUSSION: lets do a developer workshop on near-term work
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 16:14:57 GMT
> I can represent your side Ram (and Anoop). I've been known always argue both side of a
discussion and to never take sides easily (drives some folks crazy).

I can vouch for this (smile)

I also can offer support for off heaping there. At the same time we do have a gap where we
can't point to a timeline of improvements (yet, anyway) with benchmarks showing gains where
your goals need them. For example, stock HBase in one JVM can address max N GB for response
time distribution D; dev version of HBase in off heap branch can address max N' GB for distribution
D', where N' > N and D > D' (distribution D' statistically shows better/lower response
times).

> On Jul 17, 2015, at 6:56 AM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> I'm in favor of anything that improves performance (and preferably doesn't set us back
into a world that's worse than C due to the lack of pointers in Java).Never said "I don't
like it", it's just that I'm perhaps asking for more numbers and justification in weighing
the pros and cons.
> I can represent your side Ram (and Anoop). I've been known always argue both side of
a discussion and to never take sides easily (drives some folks crazy). And Stack's there too,
he yell at me where needed :)

> Perhaps we can do it a bit later in the evening so there is a fighting chance that folks
on IST can participate. I know that some of our folks on IST would love to participate in
the backup discussion).

> Like Enis, I'm also happy to host. We're in Downtown SF. I'd just need an approx. number
of folks.

> -- Lars

if we (from India) can attend this meeting remotely your thoughts can be discussed and also
the current state of this work.
> RegardsRam
>

> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 9:28 PM, lars hofhansl <larsh@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Works for me. I'll be back in the Bay Area the week of August 9th.
> We have done a _lot_ of work on backups as well - ours are more complicated as we wanted
fast per-tenant restores, so data is "grouped" by tenant. Would like to sync up on that (hopefully
some of the folks who wrote most of the code will be in town, I'll check).

> Also interested in the "Time" and "offheap" parts (although you folks usually do not
like what I think about the offheap efforts :) ).
> Would like to add the following topics:
>

> - "Timestamp Resolution". Or making space for more bits in the timestamps (happy to cover
that, unless it's part of the "Time" topic)

> - "Replication". We found that replication cannot keep up with high write loads, due
to the fact that replicated is strictly single threaded per regionserver (even though we have
multiple region servers on the sink side)