hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Priyanka B <priyanka.bhale...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HTrace
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2015 15:33:44 GMT
Hi Biju and Masatake,

I have a similar problem for my client htrace spans. I am not able to see
the parent client span in my trace output.

I have enabled htrace logging on server side using the below configuration
in hbase-site.xml

<property>
        <name>hbase.trace.spanreceiver.classes</name>
        <value>org.cloudera.htrace.impl.LocalFileSpanReceiver</value>
</property>

<property>
        <name>hbase.local-file-span-receiver.path</name>
        <value>/tmp/Server_htrace.out</value>
</property>

On the client side, I maintain a different configuration file
hbase-client.xml

<property>
        <name>hbase.trace.spanreceiver.classes</name>
        <value>org.cloudera.htrace.impl.LocalFileSpanReceiver</value>
</property>

<property>
        <name>hbase.local-file-span-receiver.path</name>
        <value>/tmp/Client_htrace.out</value>
</property>

I am able to see the htrace spans when I start/close spans using the hbase
shell so I think server configuration is correct.
However, when I start and close span in my client side code, I see only the
server side span traces without the root parent span that is initiating the
server rpc calls.

Here is how I made changes to the client side code:

 this.spanReceiverHost = SpanReceiverHost.getInstance(conf);

I have initialized the spanReceiverHost like above. The conf is
hbase-client.xml here.

Then before a "Get" call I have done a start and close of trace:

        TraceScope ts = Trace.startSpan("*Gets*", Sampler.ALWAYS);
        try {
            result = getTable(table).get(g);
        }
        catch (IOException e) {
            throw new DatabaseException("Error fetching data: "
                    + e.getMessage());
        }
        finally {
            if (ts != null) {
                ts.close();
            }
        }

For all the gets I see spans from the server side but no span with "*Gets*"
in the description. I cannot make a graph out of the spans since it is
missing the parent span.

Am I missing some configuration? It will be great if someone could help me
on this. I have one region server, one master running in my environment and
I am using hbase-0.98.8, htrace-20.4.

Thanks a lot,
Priyanka