hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jingcheng Du <jingcheng...@intel.com>
Subject [VOTE] Merge branch hbase-11339 HBase MOB to trunk
Date Fri, 17 Jul 2015 09:01:09 GMT
Hi all,

The Moderate Object Storage (MOB) feature (HBASE-11339[1]) is modified I/O
and compaction path that allows individual moderately sized values
(100KB-10MB) to be stored so that write amplification is reduced when
compared to the normal I/O path. MOB is defined in the column family
and it is almost isolated with other components, the features and
performance
cannot be effected in normal columns. A detailed design doc and user guide
can
be found on the hbase-11339 jira. The code reside in the feature branch
hbase-11339[2], and now the latest mega patch for trunk is
available in RB[3].

Jon had brought this in another DISCUSSION thread some days ago. We
collected
all the feedbacks there and had tried to incorporate them.

Some improvements, like encryption of mob files, finding
corrupt mob files and dangling reference cells, have been implemented.

The other point that was discussed is the use of MR for doing the MOB
compaction in phase-1
of the implementation. Now the dependency is removed, we have an inbuilt MOB
compaction that
can be run automatically and it does not need MR anymore. Still the MR
compaction is provided
as a tool for users.

Considering the fact that the concerns from the discussion thread have been
addressed, we are putting
the merge to trunk up for a vote.
[] +1 proceed with merge to trunk.
[] 0 no opinion
[] -1 do not merge to trunk, because ...

Our current merge vote policy requires at least 3 +1s from committers to
move forward[4]. The vote runs for 72 hours (the weekends are excluded), and
it will be closed at the midnight of
Tuesday July 21 PDT.

Thanks,
Jingcheng, Jon, Ram and Anoop.