hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Semantic Versioning Worksheet
Date Fri, 26 Jun 2015 17:51:42 GMT
(Intent is that this is a long-lived thread where we work out our
transition to semantic versioning).

In HBASE-13214 "Remove deprecated and unused methods from HTable class",
Ashish Singhi is doing nice cleanup work. His patch is removing deprecated
methods from HTable for hbase-2.0.0.  A few methods up for removal are
deprecated in hbase-1.1.0 but not in hbase-1.0.0. Ashish quotes Semantic
Versioning:

"...issue a new minor release with the deprecation in place. Before you
completely remove the functionality in a new major release there should be
at least one minor release that contains the deprecation so that users can
smoothly transition to the new API."

So, Ashish's patch is well within what SV allows but to my mind we need to
be even more conservative if only during this period of transition to SV. I
think we should not remove deprecated methods, especially high-profile
client-facing ones, until a major version has elapsed with the method
deprecated.

Opinions?
Thanks,
St.Ack