hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Multi-Cluster HBase Client
Date Tue, 30 Jun 2015 16:11:11 GMT
Todd,

You said:
"As far as I'm aware, this has been a very common deployment strategy at Google for close
to a decade, for applications that do not require strict consistency.”

And for those applications that do? (Require ‘strict' consistency)
And the overhead of running your scans in parallel?

How many of Cloudera’s customers are running clusters that are at FB, Google or Yahoo! scale?

Sometime you need a voice of reason like Aaron Kimball’s. ;-)

Again… you really need to think this through before putting finger to keyboard.

Now if you’re talking about a client being able to manage multiple cluster connections…
that’s a different story and that’s not what Ted was suggesting.

Oh and I want to be clear. I think that Ted’s thinking about potential problems is a good
thing. I’m suggesting that there be a bit more thought about it before you actually try
to tackle it as a worthy problem.

And to also be clear.
I’m saying its not a good idea, not for *my* applications, but that I’m thinking in terms
of a general concept. If you look at the solution, applications that do not require strict
consistency is a growing smaller subset of applications.
Its not to say that you can’t find a use case, but in terms of a general approach, it fails
for a large subset of use cases, and can cause confusion when someone tries to use it for
a use case where you do have a consistency issue and you don’t understand why your result
sets don’t match.

> On Jun 30, 2015, at 8:46 AM, Todd Lipcon <todd@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Michael-- the experiences of Google before us and many Cassandra users
> indicate that there are many valid use cases for multi-datacenter clients
> such as the one Ted has built.
>
> Go read the Tail at Scale paper from CACM for an example of how a multi
> cluster client can drop tail latencies by an order of magnitude. As far as
> I'm aware, this has been a very common deployment strategy at Google for
> close to a decade, for applications that do not require strict consistency.
>
> It's certainly valid and constructive to point out downsides and
> limitations of the design, and explain why it might not work for your
> applications. Perhaps you need something closer to megastore. But claiming
> that all applications look just like your applications, in the presence of
> evidence to the contrary, doesn't benefit anyone.
>
> Todd
> On Jun 30, 2015 8:37 AM, "Michael Segel" <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Guys,
>>
>> You really don’t want to do this. (Fault tolerant across a single cluster
>> pair…)
>>
>> What I didn’t say in my other email is that you’re not being specific as
>> to what constitutes a failure.  Read: How does your client know that you’ve
>> lost a connection to its primary client?
>>
>> What you might as well do is to create a load balancing server that will
>> then manage the connection to one of N clusters in your replication group.
>> And even then you’ll want to make this redundant.
>> Really?
>>
>> How often do you have a problem with your client connection?
>>
>> If so… get a new HBase Admin or switch to MapRDB because you have a
>> stability problem…
>>

>> In terms of a generic client who wants to manage multiple connections…
>> yeah, that’s a pretty straight forward problem to solve.
>> But keep in mind that your cluster isn’t across multiple data centers but
>> that you have multiple clusters.
>>
>> Of course… maybe you’re all on a single cluster and you’re using slider …
>> ;-)
>>
>> Again, please think before you pound code.
>>

>> But hey! What do I know?  I don’t own my IP :-(
>>
>> ;-P
>>
>>> On Jun 30, 2015, at 6:24 AM, Ted Malaska <ted.malaska@cloudera.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Cool Let me know.  If we appeal HBase.MCC correctly maybe we can hit two
>>> birds with one stone.  At least the client part.  It would be nice to
>> have
>>> a client that was configurable and in the core that would support use
> [...]
We have

SLAs
can be delayed
tolerant to