hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Ruby shell versions for HBase 2.0
Date Wed, 13 May 2015 17:37:30 GMT
On May 13, 2015 12:06 PM, "Michael Segel" <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> So…
> Silly question…
> Do you really need to worry about backward’s compatibility?
> How many people have customized HBaseShell ?
> What are the common customizations and if you port HBase shell, how much
work would filter through to the custom code?

These are excellent questions to which I have poor answers.

The mechanics of the interactive repl via IRB will probably not be that
different. However, the ref guide calls out the ability to customize things
via hooking in your own ruby script so there's little bound on what we've
set for expectations. Given ruby 1.8's age, I'm not even sure there are 1.8
to 2.2 guides; likely folks would need to follow 1.8 to 1.9 and 1.9 to 2.2
guides (or we could work to provide some combined guidance).

Customizations are just as likely to be "call this sequence of commands"
(little to no work for update) as a daemon that does health and recovery
checks (lots of work, approaching "rewrite").

Personally, I avoid customizations at least in part because it's ruby 1.8.
I've also discouraged those who ask me. Instead I rely on the
non-interactive flag and bash.  But given the ref guide positioning, it's
likely we'll break a nontrivial number of folks.