hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Ruby shell versions for HBase 2.0
Date Wed, 13 May 2015 16:22:45 GMT
Hi folks!

If you weren't aware, our current shell relies on Ruby, specifically the
REPL program IRB from JRuby. When we launched 1.0 we were on JRuby 1.6 with
defaults, which means we're stuck on Ruby 1.8.

For those that don't already know, Ruby 1.8 is super old and has been
walking off into the sunset for a few years now. Most (but not all!) formal
support systems for running Ruby have EOLed 1.8 and there are numerous
known issues with it.

Right now there's an open ticket to get us on JRuby 1.7 so that our shell
can work on PPC systems[1]. That version of JRuby defaults to Ruby 1.9 but
can be run in Ruby 1.8 mode. There are some implementation details
outstanding, but I'm hoping that ticket can work out such that it can land
in branch-1.

For HBase 2.0, I'd like us to plan for a little farther out in the future
than just updating to Ruby 1.9 (though that would be a fine incremental
step with some non-trivial work attached). The "current" version of Ruby is
2.2. Much like the move from 1.8 -> 1.9 it is not backwards compatible.

JRuby's next major maintenance release line is "version 9000"[2] and it
will start out *only* supporting Ruby 2.2. Right now JRuby 9000 is in its
second "preview" release. They still have a few feature complete items to
address before they hit their first GA release.

I'd like us to move to Ruby 2.2 via JRuby 9000 for HBase 2.0.  This will
cause operator pain to folks with advanced scripts based on Ruby 1.8, but
it should allow us to update versions to avoid e.g. perf, correctness, and
security issues much more easily over the lifetime of 2.0.

What do folks think? Would JRuby 9000 need to hit a GA release prior to
HBase 2.0 getting released for us to adopt it? Or would it only need enough
of Ruby 2.2 to run our current shell?

[1]: https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13338
[2]: http://www.slideshare.net/CharlesNutter/over-9000-jruby-in-2015

--