hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Hsieh <...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSSION] Merge of the hbase-11339 mob branch into master.
Date Fri, 22 May 2015 20:45:42 GMT
In another thread andrew purtell brought up some concerns about the mob
feature:

On Fri, May 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
 wrote:

> Another point of clarification, sorry, I hit the send button too early it
> seems: I don't believe MOB is fully integrated yet, for example the
> feature
> is an extension to store that lacks support for encryption (this would
> technically be a feature regression); and HBCK. I have not been following
> MOB too closely so could be mistaken. These issues do not preclude a merge
> of MOB into trunk, but do preclude a merge back of MOB from trunk to
> branch-1. I would veto the latter until such shortcomings in the
> implementation that could be described as regressions are addressed. I
> would also like to see a performance analysis of a range of workloads
> before and after in as much detail as can be mustered, and would be happy
> to volunteer to help out with that.

Here's info on the points brought up:

Encryption support shortcoming is being addrsessed here:
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13693 (closed)
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HBASE-13720 (in review)

Hbck has been actually run against the integration test rigs while the
feature has been enabled but currently has no explicit unit test or simple
to run integration test.  It currently doesn't report anything special
about the mob storage area. We can add unit tests that cover hbck when the
mob path is exercised.

Another suggestion was a tool to check that mob references had
corresponding mob data.  We currently include a mr-based sweeper job that
could be used to perform this verification.  We can add this tool and
testing for the tool.

I've done some performance testing and Jingcheng and his colleagues have
done significant amounts of performance testing. We currently have a blog
post in progress that will share the results of this performance testing.

Jon.

--
// Jonathan Hsieh (shay)
// jon@cloudera.com // @jmhsieh