hbase-dev mailing list archives

From lars hofhansl <la...@apache.org>
Subject Building HBase master with JDK8
Date Sun, 31 May 2015 18:08:20 GMT
I have started to get this when I am trying to build hbase-master with JDK8:

[INFO] Restricted to JDK 1.7 yet jdk.tools:jdk.tools:jar:1.7:system contains com/sun/xml/internal/xsom/XSNotation.class
targeted to JDK 1.8[WARNING] Rule 2: org.apache.maven.plugins.enforcer.EnforceBytecodeVersion
failed with message:
HBase has unsupported dependencies.
  HBase requires that all dependencies be compiled with version 1.7 or earlier
  of the JDK to properly build from source.  You appear to be using a newer dependency. You
can use
  either "mvn -version" or "mvn enforcer:display-info" to verify what version is active.
  Non-release builds can temporarily build with a newer JDK version by setting the
  'compileSource' property (eg. mvn -DcompileSource=1.8 clean package).
Found Banned Dependency: jdk.tools:jdk.tools:jar:1.7
Use 'mvn dependency:tree' to locate the source of the banned dependencies.

This was added with HBASE-13344 in the master branch only. How are we supposed to build with
JDK8 now?
When I follow the suggestion (mvn -DcompileSource=1.8) I get other compile errors:

[ERROR] /home/lars/dev/hbase-master/hbase-server/src/test/java/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/wal/WALPerformanceEvaluation.java:[310,29]
no suitable method found for startSpan(java.lang.String,trace ? Sa[...]NEVER)
method org.apache.htrace.Trace.startSpan(java.lang.String,org.apache.htrace.Span) is not applicable
(argument mismatch; bad type in conditional expression
org.apache.htrace.Sampler<capture#1 of ?> cannot be converted to org.apache.htrace.Span)
method org.apache.htrace.Trace.startSpan(java.lang.String,org.apache.htrace.TraceInfo) is
not applicable

So it seems that right now HBase master cannot be built with JDK8 _at all_. We need to fix
this.

-- Lars