hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Stephen Jiang <syuanjiang...@gmail.com>
Subject HBCK question: Exception in checkRegionConsistency() would kill HBCK
Date Wed, 22 Apr 2015 22:52:14 GMT
I am looking the code at HBaseFsck#checkRegionConsistency().  It checks
region consistency and repair the corruption if requested.  However, this
function expects some exceptions.  For example, in one aspect of region
repair, it calls HBaseFsckRepair#waitUntilAssigned(), if a region is in
transition for over 120 seconds, the timeout would throw IOException.

The problem I see is that one exception in checkRegionConsistency() would
kill entire hbck operation, because the exception would propagate.

I think the better approach is to skip the troubled region and let hbck
continue to other regions.  At the end, users only has a few regions that
needs multiple runs of hbck or manual fix.  (Maybe one exception is for
meta table, if a region in meta table is not repaired successful, we should
not continue.)

How do you think?

Thanks
Stephen