hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Enis Söztutar <enis....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Clarifying interface evolution freedom in patch releases (was: Re: [VOTE] Third release candidate for HBase 1.0.1 (RC2))
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 21:58:17 GMT
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:31 PM, Sean Busbey <busbey@cloudera.com> wrote:

> Why don't we just focus development after a minor release on the next minor
> release instead of the next patch release?
>
> We could limit backports to the patch releases to critical bugs, which
> would cut down on how often someone has to deal with the pain of making
> sure we don't add to public APIs. It also reduces the risk someone going
> through an upgrade has, since there are fewer changes.

Big +1. I think we will get there, but devs/committers are used to
backporting simple
new features across all branches. Not to nit pick or anything, an example
is
HBASE-13168 which I failed to catch. Ideally it should not have been in
1.0.1. We also
do it, so that users see less of "This was in 0.98, but how come it is not
in 1.0.x". I think
we will get substantially better over time.

> If someone fixes a bug and doesn't want to do the work of making sure it
> doesn't add methods in a patch release, they just don't backport to that
> version and make a follow on e.g. "backport to 1.0.z" ticket.
>

> On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM, Enis Söztutar <enis.soz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > +1 to the proposal.
> >
> > The problem is that we have a very big API surface especially with the
> > coprocessors included in the report. Even simple bug fixes can introduce
> > protected or public methods to base classes, which makes patch releases
> > very hard to maintain. I would not want to spend the effort to spend tons
> > of time trying to make a patch not introduce new methods in order to
> > backport. That effort can be spent elsewhere IMO.
> >
> > Looking at the report
> > https://people.apache.org/~enis/1.0.0_1.0.1RC2_compat_report.html,
> nothing
> > strikes me as "new functionality". Going from current 1.0.0 to 1.0.1RC2
> > should actually be as you would expect from upgrading a patch release.
> >
> > Yes, adding new API in patch releases will make downgrading harder, but I
> > think that is an acceptable tradeoff. We can document that if your
> > application compiles (meaning that you are not using new API) with 1.0.0,
> > then you can swap your jars in a binary compat manner.
> >
> > Enis
> >
> > On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 10:03 AM, Andrew Purtell <apurtell@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Anyone disagree with the point of view put forward by Josh and Sean?

> > as
> > agree

> > place,
> best