hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Clarifying interface evolution freedom in patch releases (was: Re: [VOTE] Third release candidate for HBase 1.0.1 (RC2))
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 20:31:55 GMT
Why don't we just focus development after a minor release on the next minor
release instead of the next patch release?

We could limit backports to the patch releases to critical bugs, which
would cut down on how often someone has to deal with the pain of making
sure we don't add to public APIs. It also reduces the risk someone going
through an upgrade has, since there are fewer changes.

If someone fixes a bug and doesn't want to do the work of making sure it
doesn't add methods in a patch release, they just don't backport to that
version and make a follow on e.g. "backport to 1.0.z" ticket.

--
Sean