hbase-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Busbey <bus...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: The Renumbering (proposed)
Date Thu, 23 Apr 2015 22:58:26 GMT
On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 5:23 PM, Elliott Clark <eclark@apache.org> wrote:

>  I just don't understand sticking with 2.5.1. Hadoop 2.5.1 is something
> that's basically un-usable in an environment with real load. I can't get it
> to pass 1/2 a day of IT tests ( which should mean that it fails all RC
> votes).

Worth noting that 2.6.0 also has some critical bugs. Notably, its
implementation of HDFS encryption combined with how we use WALs results in
cluster death. There's a fix in 2.7.0 (which is expressly flagged by the
Hadoop community as non-production), and I've asked for it to be included
in 2.6.1 (if 2.6.1 happens). There's also a general fix in how we behave at
something like 80% done in my working directory.

It just seems there's going to be *something* broken in about any Hadoop
version we pick.

> The choice that we are giving the user:
>
> * Upgrade to get bug fixes critical bug fixes and risk some as of yet
> un-said incompatibility

* Stay with 2.5.1 and know that regionserver can be wedged and completely
> stuck at any given time. With turning it off and back on being the only
> remediation.
>
> So to me it seems that sticking with 2.5.1 in the package while telling
> users to upgrade is just ignoring the issue so that we can claim semver.
> We're asking the user to do the upgrade themselves ( note that they are
> still exposed to any incompatibilities to hadoop 2.6 or 2.7) so that we can
> claim a pyrrhic victory.

We also run our tests with 2.6 so far. We can easily expand them to include
2.7 as well. Right now, that just means unit tests but we can work to make
that be integration tests as well. Dima and I have been chatting with ASF
Infra to try to make this happen this summer.

IMHO, those updates will do enough to ensure folks that they can run on
more recent versions of Hadoop. Changing our pom version means we run the
risk of using new features of 2.6+ in our code, which will then prevent
users on older versions from upgrading their HBase version.

We tell every user of HBase that they're supposed to be running against the
jars that come with the version of Hadoop they run on their cluster. We
provide no help on running a particular Hadoop version, so I don't see how
this is making the user do any kind of upgrade they aren't already going to
be doing.

--
Sean